Every year the school holds a Summer fair to raise funds for the PTFA and I make various things for them to sell or raffle, often at the last minute, so I’m feeling a little bit smug that I’ve already started this year – and it’s not until June!
In three mammoth jam-making sessions I managed to make 42 jars of Blackberry and Apple jam, 25 of which are being donated for the school fair.
Last year there was a ‘Horsington’s Got Talent’ stall, whereby parents and pupils make all manner of crafty things to sell, and for which I made lots of things. It was a huge success, selling out completely apparently, so the Committee have put out another request for handmade items.
As I inevitably end up spending quite a bit of money on things I make like sugar and lemons for the jam, all the ingredients for 50 scones and cakes for the cake stall, I try to make the crafty items out of things I can source for free or that I already have in my supplies.
Like this pile of (freshly laundered) pillowcases and tea towels, all surplus to requirements and acquired from several different people who know I can’t say no to gifts of leftover/unwanted fabrics.
I don’t know what you see when you look at this mix but, add in a bit of vintage lace trim and it screams “Patchwork quilt” to me. No? Well, that’s how my mind works, anyway:)
The very word ‘vintage’ conjures up images of faded florals and linens, so I picked out the remaining old Ikea pillowcases (some of which had been cut up to make hats for the jars of jam) and 3 or 4 neutral tea towels which would work nicely.
My Olfa quilting set made short work of cutting out the 48 6″ squares needed to make a quilt just large enough for a single bed.
I laid them all out on the floor and fiddled around until I was happy with the arrangement.
All seams were stitched with 1/4″ seam allowance and pressed as each strip was completed.
This is the finished quilt top.
For the backing, I had to piece together bits of wadding and leftover curtain lining to make up the size I needed.
With right sides facing, lay the lining on the quilt top, then the wadding on top again.
I stitched around all four sides, leaving a gap through which to turn the quilt. Then the lace trim was sewn to the edge.
Finally I added a little “Sewchet” label.
I may go back and add a bit of hand quilting if I get time, but it actually doesn’t need it.
It’s just the right size to be a comforter on a single bed, or would make a cosy lap blanket for the sofa.
It took me six hours yesterday to make, so the fact that it will probably be sold for about a fiver has to be put to the back of my mind – but at least the fabric was free!